Name of Church Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church

Address 1300 East Valley Road, Montecito, CA 93108

Phone number (805) 969-6868


Mass times Saturday vigil 4:30 p.m.; Sunday 8 a.m.; 10 a.m.; noon. Weekday and Saturday, 7:45 a.m.

Confessions 3:30 – 4:15 p.m.

Music Adult, children’s and teen choirs

Names of priests Fr. Lawrence Seyer, pastor. Msgr. Stephen Downes and Fr. Maurice O’Mahony, both pastor emeritus. Fr. Seyer came to the parish in 2016, after spending 11 years as pastor of Our Savior Parish and the USC Caruso Center in Los Angeles, serving USC students. While there, he played a key role in the designing and building of an impressive new church; it was built in the more traditional style, he explained, because “the students wanted a church that looked like a church.” Despite working on a college campus he publicly voiced his support for California’s Proposition 8, which sought to maintain the traditional definition of marriage, in 2008. He’s a good homilist; listen to him address students by clicking here.

School Yes. Pre-K through 8th grade.

Special parish groups Community of Churches in Montecito, small faith-sharing groups

Fellow parishioners This is a wealthier community in Santa Barbara County; there are also many tourists who visit the area.

Parking Parking alongside the church.

Additional observations Our Lady of Mount Carmel is a historic parish built in the mission style. It was established in 1856, initially served by the priests of the nearby Santa Barbara Mission. The current church was built in 1938. Its tabernacle, sanctuary lamp and altar crucifix are silver and modeled after the designs of 17th century Spanish colonial silversmiths; its buildings also incorporate the building styles of the Pueblo Indians. (Take a quick tour: video)