We will be at Grape Day Park in Escondido this Saturday, June 14, 2014 from approximately 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. if you would like to join us to observe or participate. Grape Day Park is located at 321 N. Broadway, Escondido (For directions, see https://www.grapedaypark.org/grape_day_park_2_003.htm)
Please do not hesitate to contact me or James at any time.
See you this Saturday!
From the St. Paul Street Evangelization website:
“St. Paul Street Evangelization is a grassroots, non-profit organization, dedicated to responding to the mandate of Jesus to preach the Gospel to all nations by taking the Catholic Faith to the streets. Christ’s call to evangelize was made to every Catholic Christian, and the Second Vatican Council reiterated this need, urging each of the baptized to bring the Gospel, found fully in the Catholic Church, to a culture that has largely reverted to paganism. As an on-the-street Catholic evangelization organization, St. Paul Street Evangelization provides an avenue for people to share the Person of Jesus Christ and the truth and beauty of the Catholic Faith with a hungry culture.
“Founded in May 2012, St. Paul Street Evangelization provides the tools and resources for Catholics to engage the culture in a simple, non-confrontational method of evangelization which involves making themselves available to the public to answer questions about the faith and to pray with those who request it. SPSE has had tremendous growth and now has teams throughout the United States and even internationally, such as in the Philippines and Australia….
Armed with a simple sign, pamphlets and Rosaries, SPSE evangelists take to the streets, going wherever people are gathered – on a street corner, at a festival, or even at a football game. Our teams always begin in prayer. Unlike some forms of street evangelism which seek to forcibly proselytize those passing by (for example, by yelling, displaying confrontational signs, or preaching loudly at no one in particular), SPSE employs a non-confrontational method, maintaining a peaceful presence and allowing people to approach if they choose. Initial contact is limited to a friendly greeting and an offer of a free Rosary….”
A Jan. 3, 2014 posting on the site lists books helpful to street evangelists:
- Forming Intentional Disciples by Sherry Weddell
- Evangelical Catholicism by George Weigel
- The Joy of the Gospel by Pope Francis
- The Evangelization Equation by Fr. James Wehner
- The Soul of the Apostolate by Jean-Baptiste Chautard
- The Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila
- The Seven Big Myths about the Catholic Church by Christopher Kaczor
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- How to Defend Your Faith Without Raising Your Voice by Austen Ivereigh
- Why Catholicism Matters by Bill Donohue
- Bible Basics for Catholics by John Bergmsa
- What is Marriage: A Defense by Girgis, Anderson, & George
- Saints & Social Justice by Brandon Vogt
- Evangelizing Catholics by Scott Hahn
For more information, click here.