Dave Rubin, the popular pundit for the conservative network BlazeTV, recently announced that he and his “husband,” David Janet, were using surrogacy to obtain two children. When I saw that even some faithful Christians were celebrating this news, I knew it was time for a gut check. Let’s bring faith and reason to the table and look at how many deadly sins are committed when “married” homosexual men rent the wombs of surrogates to procure babies for themselves.
- Active homosexuality. Homosexual acts are “acts of grave depravity” which contradict the natural law and can never be approved (CCC 2357).
- “Gay marriage.” The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith directs that “clear and emphatic opposition [to same-sex ‘marriage’] is a duty” and that laws permitting it are “gravely unjust.”
- Surrogacy. The CDF teaches that surrogacy “represents an objective failure to meet the obligations of maternal love, of conjugal fidelity and of responsible motherhood; it offends the dignity and the right of the child to be conceived…and brought up by his own parents; it sets up, to the detriment of families, a division between the physical, psychological and moral elements which constitute those families.”
- Masturbation/self-abuse. “The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose” (CCC 2352).
- Pornography. In fertility clinics, masturbation and the collection of sperm is routinely facilitated by the use of pornographic videos and images in the “collection room.” So, in this step of the process, the sin of masturbation is aided by a massive and lucrative porn industry that exploits the women (and men) on screen in the most depraved, destructive ways.
- Third parties directly involved in a child’s conception. As a rule of thumb, according to the U.S. bishops: “Procedures which add a ‘third party’ into the act of conception, or which substitute a laboratory procedure for intercourse, are not acceptable.”
- Willful killing of human embryos. With surrogacy and IVF, it is routine to create “excess” embryos to get the desired sex, cull for disease/defect, and prepare for multiple IVF attempts if previous cycles fail. Countless human embryos (persons) are suspended in deep freeze, used as research material, and/or willfully destroyed; this is commonplace, and built into the industry’s business plan. In a discussion of bioethics, IVF, and embryo rights, the Church is clear: “The human being is to be respected and treated as a person from the moment of conception; and therefore from that same moment his rights as a person must be recognized, among which in the first place is the inviolable right of every innocent human being to life.”
- The commodification of children. We have bought the lie that children are a “right” for the adults who desire them. This is a deep deception, as only the children have rights in this area, and not the adults: “A child is not something owed to one, but is a gift. The ‘supreme gift of marriage’ is a human person. A child may not be considered a piece of property, an idea to which an alleged ‘right to a child’ would lead. In this area, only the child possesses genuine rights: the right ‘to be the fruit of the specific act of the conjugal love of his parents,’ and ‘the right to be respected as a person from the moment of his conception’”(CCC 2378).
- Intentionally denying a child his mother. The child born of surrogacy for a gay male couple is motherless by design. This is in no way similar to a child being born into tragedy where his mother has died or is unable to care for him. Rather, this is about seemingly rational adults making the conscious decision, well before the child exists, to manufacture a child who will never have a mother. By nature, God gave each of us a mother, and each of us has a right to our mother. We used to weep for a motherless child (and lament a fatherless one); but today, we approve it with a smile and even a hearty, public congratulations. Which brings us to…
- 10.The celebration of mortal sin is itself a mortal sin. Catholics: you know that the nine sins above are grave sins, and if you didn’t know it a few minutes ago, you know now. We are all culpable for what we know (and for our willful ignorance). If we knowingly celebrate deadly sin, then that celebration is itself mortally sinful.
Though I’ve enumerated ten deadly sins committed when homosexual male couples use surrogates to get babies, you have likely realized that the majority of those sins are also committed by heterosexual couples procuring children in the same immoral ways. So many deadly sins celebrated, and yet one mortal sin alone can deprive us of Heaven forever. We should tremble, not rejoice, at such baby announcements! Why do so many professed Christians support (and engage in) these acts that grieve the heart of God and risk their immortal souls?
Because we have forgotten who we are, and who God is.
Full story at Crisis Magazine.