The directive not to vote on the proposals which had been expected to form the basis for the response of the Church in the US to the sexual abuse crisis came from the Congregation for Bishops, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo of Galveston-Houston said Monday.
The president of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops was speaking at the first press conference held at the bishops’ autumn General Assembly in Baltimore Nov. 12.
He indicated that the directive came not from Pope Francis, but directly from the Congregation for Bishops.
The American members of the Congregation for Bishops are Cardinals Blase Cupich of Chicago, and Donald Wuerl, Archbishop Emeritus of Washington.
DiNardo had announced the decision earlier in the day to “a visibly surprised conference hall.”
DiNardo said that the Holy See insisted that consideration of a code of conduct for bishops and a lay-led body to investigate bishops accused of misconduct be delayed until the conclusion of a special meeting called by Pope Francis for February.
Coyne told CNA that the bishops would also suspend their vote on establishing a third-party reporting system for complaints about episcopal conduct.
DiNardo said he found Rome’s decision to be “quizzical,” and suspected the Congregation for Bishops thought the US bishops might be moving too quickly.
The cardinal said he had proposed an apostolic visitation to deal with the problem, but that Rome had disagreed with that approach.
Full story at Catholic News Agency.