Name of Church St. Dominic
Address 2390 Bush Street, San Francisco, CA 94115
Phone number (415) 567-7824
Mass times Saturday vigil, 5:30 p.m.; Sunday 7:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. (Spanish), 5:30 p.m., 9 p.m.. Weekdays, 6:30 a.m., 8 a.m., 5:30 p.m. Saturdays at 8 a.m., Mass with morning prayer.
Confessions Saturday, 5-5:30 p.m.; Sunday, 7-7:20 a.m., 9-9:20 a.m., 11-11:20 a.m., 5-5:20 p.m. and by appointment.
Names of priests St. Dominic’s is staffed by the Dominican Fathers of the Western Province. Its pastor for the last few years has been Father Michael Hurley, a graduate of Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula. Father Steve Maekawa is prior and parochial vicar, Father Isaiah Mary Molano is also a parochial vicar. (Listen to their homilies on the parish website.)
Parish groups St. Dominic’s is known for its large young adult community, drawing single and married people in their 20s and 30s (see https://stdominics.org/ministries/youngadults). There are a variety of other groups, including a county jail outreach ministry, First Friday all-night adoration, a married couples’ group, a men’s club, Second Spring (for ages 55 and up), a Christian meditation group, an artists’ guild and much more.
Music Cantors and a variety of choirs, including a contemporary music choir, a family Mass choir and a Solemn Mass choir.
Parking Park in the church lot or on the street.
Cry room No.
Additional observations St. Dominic’s is a bustling parish in the City, and is among its most beautiful parishes. The Dominican friars first came to San Francisco in 1850; the first St. Dominic’s church was built in 1873. A larger church was built in the 1880s, but collapsed in the 1906 earthquake. The current church on that site was completed in 1928; nine flying buttresses were added in the 1990s to make the church seismically stable. It is a magnificent Gothic-style church, including a carved marble altar from Italy, carved oak side altars, shrines and confessionals, many impressive statues, paintings, stained glass windows; call the parish about taking a docent tour. St. Dominic’s also houses the Shrine of St. Jude and recently opened a columbarium, where the cremated remains of loved ones can be interred.