The San Bernardino Catholic Diocese plans to release the names of every priest who has been credibly accused of sexually abusing children over 40 years.
Diocese spokesman John Andrews said Tuesday that the list will be published on the diocese’s website within two weeks.
The disclosure will be among the latest made or planned by dioceses around the country, including in San Diego, which last week added eight names to its list of accused priest abusers.
The Diocese of San Jose also plans to release the names of alleged predators by mid-October.
The current wave of disclosures follows a Pennsylvania grand jury report released last month detailing allegations that Pittsburgh-area priests had molested more than 1,000 children.
After that, San Bernardino Bishop Gerald Barnes called a meeting with diocese priests, deacons, religious sisters and others in the community.
“He wanted to talk about what the diocese can do locally to address the genuine angst and disappointment that have come with the release of that report … ,” Andrews said in an interview with KPCC/LAist.
Among the top suggestions from the meeting: publicize a comprehensive list of accused priests.
Full story at LAist.