A Banning school administrator who pleaded not guilty to charges that he tried to lure a minor to have sex is on “inactive leave” as a Roman Catholic priest, the Los Angeles Archdiocese said Thursday.
Charles Patrick Mayer, 55, of Menifee, is “not in ministry and living privately, since September of 2000 due to a failure to adhere to Archdiocesan policies concerning interaction with youth and young adults. The Archdiocese has no record of allegations of sexual misconduct by Charles Mayer,” the statement read.
The statement was part of a bulletin to parishioners at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Northridge, which was Mayer’s first assignment as a priest after his 1996 ordination until 2000.
The bulletin asked “anyone who may have information concerning misconduct by Charles Mayer to please contact Detective Donald Patton of the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department at 909-774-2852.”
Banning School District Superintendent Robert Guillen said Thursday evening he doubts the district could have obtained more than Mayer’s employment dates from the Diocese.
“I wish we could get more, but we can’t,” Guillen said.
The district previously said Mayer was immediately placed on unpaid administrative leave from his job as dean of students at Nicolet Middle School when it received word of his arrest.
The district also said he was barred from any district facility or school site, although Mayer remained in custody Thursday at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga on a no-bail hold.
Mayer was arrested last weekend after San Bernardino County Sheriff’s investigators said he sent nude photos of himself to someone he thought was a 14-year-old boy he had met online. It was, in fact, an account run by undercover police.
Booking records show Mayer was arrested at Sixth Street and Golden Oak Road which is just outside Golden Oak Park in Rancho Cucamonga.
Full story at The Press-Enterprise.