This morning (Jan. 20), Santa Clara University President Kevin O’Brien, S.J., celebrated a Roman Catholic Mass for President-elect Joe Biden, Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, their extended families, and Congressional leadership before Biden’s inauguration as the 46th President of the United States.
The Mass was held at The Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle, with over 100 family members and invited attendees including Democratic and Republican leaders (see below). Violinist Patricia Treacy, soprano Renée Fleming and the St. Augustine Gospel Choir performed during the Mass.
Fr. O’Brien, a Jesuit priest who has led Santa Clara University since July 2019, has been friends with the Biden family for nearly 15 years, dating back to when O’Brien was serving at Georgetown University. Before becoming president of Santa Clara University, Fr. O’Brien was dean of the Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University.
Fr. O’Brien accepted the invitation to celebrate Mass from President-elect Biden, as he did before in Biden’s previous inaugurations. Fr. O’Brien’s homily at the inaugural Mass can be seen online.
Partial Attendee List:
- Dr. Jill Biden, wife of Joe Biden
- Doug Emhoff, husband of Kamala Harris
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy
- Senator Amy Klobuchar
- House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer
- Rev. Msgr. W. Ronald Jameson, rector of St. Matthew’s
Full story at Santa Clara University website.