The following comes from a February 9 email from Wynette Sills of Californians for Life:
40 Days for Life starts tomorrow, Wednesday, in 37 cities throughout CA and 273 cities around the world, united in Praying for an End to Abortion.
Right now, we all need to do everything we can to collect signatures for Parental Notification! We need every church, every citizen in California to help! See all the details below. This is the single most important life-saving effort we can do to save lives, protect our daughters, and strengthen families!
February is critically important if we are to succeed at gathering enough signatures for Parental Notification by March 1st! Here are 5 easy steps you can do:
1. With your Pastor’s permission, please put an announcement in your church bulletin (click here for a sample), make announcements from the Pulpit (click here for a sample announcement), and pass Petition Packets out to people as they are leaving church so that everyone can take petitions home to collect signatures from friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors. Please start this weekend and then remind people to bring their petitions back or mail them in throughout the month of February, by the March 1st deadline. This is so important, that I am willing to come speak at your church any weekend throughout February! Petitions can either be ordered through the Parental Notification website, or picked up at one of the many Petition Distribution Centers in the state.
If you want to encourage people to bring their petitions back to church so that you can review the petitions and mail them all in together, you can use this sample sign and collect the petitions throughout February.
2. Gneal Trevethan, Respect Life Ministry Director at St. Joseph Parish in Lincoln, has developed Petition Instructions in English and in Spanish, along with a flyer to put in your church bulletin in both English and Spanish.
3. If your church has already collected signatures, go visit other nearby churches and invite them to participate in this life-saving effort! Invite them to the 40 Days for Life while you are there! Be an ambassador for life!
4. Make sure to mail your completed petitions to the address on the bottom of each petition by March 1st.
5. We need funding to pay for petitions, printing, postage, and signature gathering. Please donate to this very worthy effort, saving lives, protecting our daughters, and strengthening families here in CA!
Good luck. Having spent quite a few hours working on securing signatures to get a proposition on the ballot to reverse California’s new assisted suicide law, I have lost hope and faith in our Bishops. It became quite clear that some dioceses and parishes made minimal effort to secure signatures. We needed around 550,000 signatures to ensure we had the required 350,000 valid signatures. That should not have been all that difficult but in the end, there was a simple announcement that an inadequate amount of signatures were secured. Yet at no time, was it announced as to how many signatures were collected.
Just got word yesterday from a local pastor that a rather cryptic message was handed down by the California Conference of Catholic Bishops to not collect signatures for this petition at the parishes. Would anyone know whether that is the case, and for what reason?
According to the Secretary of State, Californians collected a total of 156,874 signatures–goal was 500,000 to overturn the Physician Assisted Suicide Bill that “Catholic” Jerry Brown signed with the approval of many “Catholic” Democrat Assemblymen and State Senators. The biggest effort in collecting signatures was by Los Angeles with a total of 42,779–( the LA Archdiocese includes Santa Barbara 2,357 & Ventura 4,723). Orange County 25,556; San Diego 15,189. WOW, San Francisco claims 50,000 attended the Walk but only submitted 1,698 signatures. The Knights of Columbus did an amazing job distributing the petitions to the parishes. The Bishops strongly urged parishioners to sign, BUT the parishioners failed and walked by my…
Frankly, I think the timing is bad and will just add more poison to the campaign. The Presidential election always turns out more people to vote who have no idea of the issues. Aside from presidential candidates, marijuana will be a big issue and bring out all the loony’s. The Democrats will be hollering that the Republicans want to take away their abortion rights. Jerry Brown and his buddies Planned Parenthood will swamp the campaign with their millions. Catholics don’t care about PN and will pass by the tables just as they did for Physician Assisted Suicide. Don’t blame everything on the Bishops. Catholics are ignorant and just not concerned about killing issues. Wait for an off-election year
Well, you have to admit that when the chief Senator of the United States, a Republican, makes a statement within 2 hours of the announcement of the death of a Supreme Court Justice to say that a sitting president, a Democrat, doesn’t have the obligation to appoint his replacement, but that the future president does, or that the “people” do, then we have gone down a road that doesn’t even INCLUDE the Constitution. Talk about looney.
Let’s give Justice Scalia a good rest, before we use his death for political purposes, regardless of whether we liked his positions or despised them.
congratulations to Senator Mitch McConnell for taking a position!
Well, a former Republican Chairman said this weekend “We went over our skies” on this one. Meaning McConnell’s statement regarding the Scalia replacement nominee.
God bless Justice Scalia, may he rest in peace.
Do exactly what Harry Reid would do if the rolls were reversed,,ie play politics and deny Obama his chance to stack the court with hacks that will do his bidding like the 2 lesbians he appointed.