The following comes from a November 3 Catholic San Francisco article by Valerie Schmalz:
From November 7, 2015, to January 21, 2017, Dominicans worldwide celebrate the 800th jubilee of the approval of the Order of Preachers by Pope Honorius III in 1216.
On October 31 in San Francisco, where the Dominicans have been a significant presence since the Gold Rush, the order founded by St. Dominic de Guzman celebrated a little bit earlier with a Celebration of Jubilee 800 – a Mass at St. Dominic Church celebrated by the Master of the Order Dominican Father Bruno Cadoré.
“Let us be sent by the Holy Spirit,” Father Cadoré told the approximately 900 religious, parishioners and friends of the Dominicans, emphasizing founder St. Dominic de Guzman’s “call to let Christ preach in us.”
Father Cadoré is based in Rome but was able to time his West Coast visitation to celebrate the Mass, said Dominican Father Michael Hurley, pastor of St. Dominic Church in San Francisco.
In the Archdiocese of San Francisco, the Dominican friars own and operate St. Dominic Parish, which includes the novitiate for the Western Province of the Dominicans. In 2013, Dominicans signed an agreement with the archdiocese to operate St. Raymond Parish in Menlo Park.
The Dominican Friars of the Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, which was established during the Gold Rush in 1850, encompass Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Arizona and California. There are five communities of Dominican women religious active in the Archdiocese of San Francisco.