Name of Church The Cathedral of St. Eugene
Address 2323 Montgomery Drive, Santa Rosa, CA 95405
Phone number (707) 542-6984
Website and Facebook www.steugenes.com and https://www.facebook.com/Cathedral-of-St-Eugene-101604071487993
Mass times Saturday vigil, 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. (Spanish); Sunday 7:30 a.m., 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m. (Latin High Mass), 5:30 p.m. Weekdays, 6:45 & 8 a.m. & Tuesday, 5:30 p.m. (Latin, low Mass). Northern California was under strict pandemic lockdown orders but its churches were allowed to reopen in February after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling issued an injunction on the ban of indoor worship. Masses are indoors at 25% capacity with overflow seating outside under a covered area. You may also watch livestreamed Mass on the parish YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2ueqwT5jZngIWxq0ENTP4Q.
Music Although limited during the pandemic, weekend Masses typically incorporate cantors and choirs, guitar and piano and a men’s schola for the Latin Mass. Some holy day masses have music as well.
Confessions Saturday, 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. or by appointment.
Names of priests Fr. Frank Epperson, rector. Fr. Thomas Stuart, parochial vicar. The Cathedral is blessed with orthodox priests who celebrate reverent liturgies. Fr. Epperson also serves as director of seminarians for the diocese.
School Yes. Pre-K through 8th grade.
Special parish groups Daily adoration 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Perpetual adoration chapel (transferred to parking lot adoration during the pandemic), men’s chant schola (learn Gregorian chant), Legion of Mary and other prayer groups, Little Flowers girls group, St. Vincent de Paul Society, Boy Scouts, Catholic Youth Organization, altar society, Respect Life, Italian Catholic Federation, Young Men’s Institute, Knights of Columbus, and faith formation classes for all ages.
Fellow parishioners English speaking community with a significant Spanish-speaking population.
Parking There is a large lot beside the church; you can also park on Montgomery Drive or the shopping center across the street.
Cry room Yes, in the back.
Additional observations St. Eugene’s is the cathedral church of the Diocese of Santa Rosa. Catholicism came to the area in 1829, when Spanish priests built an adobe church on the present day cathedral site. St. Eugene’s Parish was established in 1950, named after Pope Eugene I, who led the Church 654-657. The church was built 1951, and the parish school opened in 1953. The parish became a cathedral in 1962 when the Diocese of Santa Rosa was split off from the Archdiocese of San Francisco. St. Eugene’s is the seat of the residential Bishop of Santa Rosa, Robert Vasa, who became bishop in 2011. Vasa is noted for his piety and orthodoxy. Visit the Cathedral bookstore to purchase religious items; there is also a Cathedral Thrift Shop.