Name of Church Church of the Nativity

Address 210 Oak Grove Avenue, Menlo Park CA 94025

Phone number (650) 323-7914


Mass Schedule Saturday 8 a.m. and vigil at 5 p.m.  Sundays, 8 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.  Weekdays, 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.  Holy Days, 7:30 a.m., 5:30 & 7:30 p.m.

Confessions Saturdays, 10 a.m. – noon (with Opus Dei priest); 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.  Or by appointment.

Names of priests Monsignor Steven Otellini, pastor.  Father Mark Mazza, parochial vicar.  Msgr. Otellini is a solid pastor (he’s fond of Cardinal Newman), good homilist, a former Vatican diplomat (his travels for the Church have taken him to Rome, Greece, and Africa) and canon lawyer who is loyal to the Magisterium.  He became pastor of the parish in 2004.  His brother, Paul Otellini, is the former president and CEO of technology corporation Intel; Monsignor loves Italian food and cooks pasta for his friends.  Father Mazza is the former pastor of Star of the Sea Church in San Francisco, and is fond of the traditional liturgy (he learned to celebrate it in 2012). [update: 3/8/19: Monsignor Otellini remains as pastor (his brother Paul died in October 2017). Father Patrick Driscoll is the present Parochial Vicar.  Father Mazza is now the pastor of Immaculate Heart of Mary church in Belmont.]

Special activities and groups around-the-clock Eucharistic adoration, Respect Life, Infant of Jesus of Prague Prayer Society, Altar Society, Adopt a Family program, Bible studies, homebound ministry, moms group.

Music Depends on the Mass.  Most Sunday Masses have traditional music with a cantor and organist; the 8 a.m. Mass has Gregorian chant and the 9:30 a.m. has guitar/folk music.

Fellow parishioners English-speaking.  Much Menlo Park is a wealthy community near Stanford University.

School Yes, K-8.

Parking No problem.

Cry room No.

Acoustics Good.  Good sound system.

Additional observations Nativity is a pretty, historic little church built in the New England style.  It is part of the archdiocese of San Francisco.  It began as a mission church in 1872, and became a parish in 1877.  The initial church was enlarged and modified and officially dedicated in 1888.  Other elements were added through the years, including an impressive rose stained glass window in 1900.  Fortunately, the 1906 San Francisco did little damage to the church (while wrecking the rectory!).

The church is built in the cruciform style and made of redwood painted white.  Its many impressive features include beautiful stained glass windows and hand-carved side altars; it is surrounded by attractive landscaping, including palm and oak trees.  It was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1981.  It is an outstanding place for prayer, and offers Eucharistic adoration 24-7.

Updated 3/8/2019.