Summary of Position:
We are looking for a creative, flexible art teacher to join our team of seasoned educators. The art teacher's responsibilities include sourcing art supplies, preparing lessons, and providing developmentally appropriate instruction on art techniques. The Art Teacher should also supervise assignments to ensure that learners interact in a supportive and respectful manner.
To be successful as an art teacher, one should encourage creativity and self-expression among students. Ultimately, an outstanding art teacher will be attentive and responsive to students' art themes that suggest distress in their personal lives.
The Principal appoints the Art Teacher, a teacher who is the school's central agent for achieving its educational goals. The teacher is entrusted directly with the academic preparation of students. Teachers foster the knowledge, skills, and understanding which students need to continue their education in college. In addition, teachers nurture students with their spiritual, social, and personal development, providing guidance and example which promotes Christian values, responsible behavior, and self-fulfillment. The teacher performs this trust in cooperation with the parents, who are the primary educators of their children, with the department chairs, counselors, moderators, campus ministers, and support staff - under the direction of the school's Administration.
Send applications or inquiries to: [email protected]
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. To become familiar with the main principles and tenets of Catholic/Lasallian education and actively support the school's mission, philosophy, and goals.
2. To promote the standards and good name of the school both internally and externally.
3. To participate constructively in the school's various forums and systems for evaluating the school and recommending improvements, including the accreditation process.
1. To provide documentation of educational background and other materials, the school needs to maintain up-to-date personnel files.
2. To observe the schedule of working hours established by the Administration, including unique plans for meetings, workshops, open houses, graduation, and other school functions.
3. To comply with all policies and procedures related to teacher absence, including but not limited to illness, personal time off, tardiness, leave, and participation in the teacher substitution program.
1. To maintain professional ethics, confidentiality, and protocol.
2. To observe the school's standards for faculty dress, appearance, and language.
3. To report punctually for classes, meetings, perfecting and other assignments, observing designated periods.
1. To coordinate efforts with other departments and the total academic program.
2. To prepare fully for course assignments, including clarifying objectives and methods, reviewing materials, and coordinating meetings with colleagues.
3. To plan and conduct daily classes that accomplish course objectives
4. To evaluate student performance regularly and administer grading policies that are clear, fair, and consistent with department/school policies.
5. To confer regularly with the Department Chairperson and colleagues in evaluating and developing subject area curriculum, pedagogy, textbooks, materials, and grading policies.
6. To assist the Assistant Principal and the Curriculum Committee as requested in reviewing and developing academic programs and policies.
7. To comply with school policy when teaching controversial issues, including prior approval from the Department Chair and Assistant Principal. To provide homework assignments for absent students as requested.
1. To observe all policies and procedures for the arrangement of field trips and guest speakers.
1. To remain mentally and physically present with students when engaged in school activities.
2. To be knowledgeable of the disciplinary, attendance, and dress code policies outlined in the school's Parent/Student Handbook or through administrative directives and to enforce them.
3. To accurately record daily attendance and tardiness in PowerSchool.
4. To ensure the effectiveness of instruction by monitoring student behavior and taking appropriate corrective actions, including student or parent conferences, citizenship grading, detention, or referral to counselors, the Assistant Principal, or the Dean.
5. To ensure the efficient management of classroom business and coordination of schedules.
6. To provide for the security of classrooms and school equipment by locking doors and windows and keeping inventories.
7. To perform all supervisory and perfecting responsibilities assigned by the Dean of Students or other administrators, observing policies and guidelines to ensure students' safety and good order.
8. To provide requested information or recommendations regarding students' behavior to the Administration.
1. To keep parents informed of students' academic progress and behavior, using prescribed forms and other appropriate means, and respond to all reasonable requests of students or parents for progress reports and consultation.
2. To initiate meetings as needed with students and parents to discuss improving performance and solving problems.
3. To establish, publish, and maintain teacher availability hours, for a minimum of 2 hours per week excluding lunch and break, for tutoring, mentoring, or otherwise assisting students.
4. To participate in information and special programs such as Back-to-School Night, Open House, and other events prescribed by the Principal.
5. To participate in the co-curricular life of Christian Brothers High School as moderators of clubs, student activities, and athletic teams as assigned.
6. To participate in the Student Retreat Program when requested by Campus Ministry and approved by Administration.
1. To cooperate with the Department Chairperson and administrators in implementing the teacher evaluation program.
2. To establish and pursue professional growth goals through coursework, research, conferences, workshops, and continuing education; confer periodically with the Department Chairperson and Administration to assess professional growth needs and plans.
3. To participate in District and school professional development programs.
4. To complete safety training and follow all safety protocols.
5. To perform other job duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications and Competencies
1. Have a bachelor's degree (or higher) from an accredited organization in a relevant subject or related field. Fine Arts preferred.
2. Possession of a California teaching credential and/or master's degree from an accredited organization preferred.
3. Prior experience in education; teaching at the high school level preferred.
4. Prior experience as an art teacher.
5. Demonstrated excellence in a variety of art techniques.
6. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
7. Capacity to supervise group work.
8. Outstanding planning and problem-solving skills.
9. Supportive, flexible disposition.
1. Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist on an intermittent or sometimes continuous basis
2. Ability to grasp, push, and/or pull objects
3. Ability to reach overhead
4. Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
5. Ability to operate a computer
6. Ability to process written, visual, and/or verbal information
7. Ability to operate essential office equipment and tools PC, Fax Machine, Telephone, Calculator, Copier, Printer.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment to meet the physical requirements of the position. Christian Brothers High School would attempt to satisfy requests if the accommodation needed would not be an undue hardship.
Those interested should submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] In the subject line, please list the title of the position you are interested in apply. This position is open until filled.
Please note: Proof of COVID-19 vaccinations is required as a condition of employment for all CBHS faculty and staff.
This document in no way constitutes an offer of employment nor acts as terms and conditions of employment.
Christian Brothers High School is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Minorities/Women/Veterans/People with Disabilities.
About the Employer
The Mission of Christian Brothers
Christian Brothers High School is a Lasallian Catholic coeducational college preparatory high school. We are dedicated to inspiring and empowering young men and women with a challenging, relevant, and diverse academic program and co-curricular activities. Students thrive in a Christ-centered community that fosters faith, integrity, global citizenship, leadership, and service, preparing students for college and life.