In response to the Camp Fire burning in Butte County, Bishop Jaime Soto has released the following statement and words of consolation:
“The tremendous loss from the Camp Fire ravaging parts of the diocese is devastating. The families in Paradise and the surrounding communities affected by the fire can rely on the support of our prayers. We also pray for the brave men and women responding to this disaster and battling the fires. May all those who have died in this catastrophic inferno be granted eternal repose in the merciful hands of the Lord Jesus.”
The fire has already claimed five lives, and has destroyed 6,713 homes and businesses across 100,000 acres. St. Thomas More Parish in Paradise is in the direct line of the fire. Reports indicate that all parishioners have evacuated the area, though many have lost their homes.
The Diocese has confirmed that St. Thomas More’s church and school structures have survived the fire.
At the time of this writing, fire crews are still battling the fire and it has not yet been contained. “I give thanks to the fire fighters and first responders for all they are doing to save our parishioners and the community,” says Fr. Godwin Xavier, Parochial Administrator of St. Thomas More Parish.
- For those who have lost homes, businesses or loved ones in the recent wildfires at Camp and throughout California, that they may find consolation in trusting that God will provide for all they need. Let us pray.
- We pray for the eternal rest of those who have died as a result of these fires and pray that those who are missing or are still in harm’s way will be found and protected. Let us pray.
- For our first responders, firefighters and brave men and women battling fires and helping people to safety, that they may be kept safe as they work to restore calm and assist those affected by the wildfires. Let us pray.
Our Lady of the Rosary pray for all those devastated by this natural disaster and make fruitful our efforts to assist them.
Parishioners wishing to donate money to assist those in need may do so in the following ways:
- Donate by mail: Send checks to Diocese of Sacramento Fire Assistance Fund, 2110 Broadway, Sacramento, CA 95818
- Donate by phone: Call The Catholic Foundation at (916) 733-0266
- Donate online: Visit www.scd.org/donate and choose the Fire Assistance Fund
From Diocese of Sacramento.